Patient Pre-operative Assessment
All patients having a general anaesthetic, regional anaesthetic or sedation at Kinvara Private Hospital will undergo a pre-operative assessment (also known as pre-assessment). This nurse-led assessment will be conducted face-to-face and will take approximately 60 minutes. For out-of-town patients the nurse will conduct a telephone interview.
What is the purpose of pre-operative assessment?
The purpose of the pre-operative assessment is to determine if you are physically fit enough to have surgery and an anaesthetic. If you have any concerns or questions, our pre-operative assessment nurse will be happy to answer them. The assessment is also an opportunity to start getting yourself in the best health for your surgery and become aware of all potential complications.
Before your pre-operative assessment
If you have any questions, please write them down and bring them with you, so the nurse can answer them. Also bring a list of all the medications that you currently take, including their strength and how often you take them.
You can eat, drink and take your medications as normal on the day of your appointment. As you may have a physical examination, women may wish to wear separates, e.g. a top and trousers/skirt.
During your appointment
The nurse will ask you about your general health, fitness and previous operations and illnesses. The assessment may involve:
- blood pressure, pulse, temperature and/or respiratory rate measurements
- blood tests
- a urine test (to test for infections, which must be treated before you can have surgery)
- swabs being taken for MRSA (Methecillin Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus) a type of bacteria that can cause infections. Any infection must be treated before you can have surgery
- an electrocardiogram (ECG). This is a way of recording the rate, rhythm and electrical activity of your heart. It’s a simple test that does not cause any discomfort or pain. Please note that you will need to partially undress for this test
- recording your height and weight
- a physical examination, so you may need to partially undress and lie down on the examination couch. This examination will be performed by the nurse, who will listen to your heart and lungs
Some patients may require a mammogram or x-rays after their appointment.
Once these tests have been completed, you will be able to leave. The results will be checked later. If the nurse identifies any issue that may affect your treatment, it will be discussed with your doctor and/or anaesthetist.
Rescheduling your pre-operative assessment appointment
If you are unable to attend your pre-operative assessment for any reason, please contact us as soon as possible on 01709 464200 and we will reschedule your appointment.
If you have been asked to attend a pre-operative assessment we are unable to carry out your treatment or procedure until this has been completed.
Speak to a member of our team for further information or to arrange a consultation
Our phone lines are open Monday – Friday, 10am – 5pm. Alternatively you can send us a message via our contact form below.